Thursday, September 29, 2011

PilotWatch: HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN

CBS Thursdays @ 8:30

What's it about?
A comedy about the unlikely friendship between a traditional, refined writer and an unrefined personal trainer.  Andrew Carlson is an etiquette columnist whose devotion to ideals from a more civilized time has lead [sic] to a life detached from modern society. Infectiously optimistic, Bert Lansing is a reformed "bad boy" from Andrew's past who inherited a fitness center, but can still be rude, loud and sloppy.  When Andrew's editor, Jerry, tells him to put a modern, sexy twist on his column or be fired, he hires Bert as a life coach in the hopes of learning to be less "gentle man" and more "real man."

So, how was it?
I'm literally at a loss of where to start.  Let me simply say that this is by far the worst pilot of the season, if not one of the worst TV shows I have ever seen.  It makes my previous least favorite pilot, THE PLAYBOY CLUB, look like SIX FEET UNDER.  All I can think of is I have lost twenty minutes of my life I will never get back (if it weren't for the sake of my blog, I wouldn't have lasted five).

I knew I wouldn't like it going in because I generally don't love sitcoms and the premise sounded cliché and not very funny.  But with Kevin Dillon as one of the two leads, I wasn't expecting it to be as horrifically awful as it was.  The premise, apart from being unfunny, is supremely dated.  The whole show feels like it was shot at least fifteen years ago.  The production quality is abysmal.  The repeated jokes about how Andrew must not be feeling well because his blazer is unbuttoned made me want to stab something.  And the whole idea that to be a gentleman you have to wear suits everyday and never visit a gym and be too shy to talk to women and just generally be prissy is insulting.  And extremely outdated.  This show was going for a modern day Odd Couple pairing, but somewhere along the way they forgot the "modern" part.

The whole time I could only think about how far Kevin Dillon has fallen since ENTOURAGE ended a mere 18 days ago, what the hell the amazing Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe from 24) was doing in this garbage, how many people had to think this show was a good enough idea to let it get this far, and what else the money that got poured into it could have been used for.  Instead of making me laugh, this show just made me depressed.

Rating:
* Atrocious. I will never watch this show again. Ever.
I wish I had a zero-star rating.  I'll be shocked if this show hasn't been cancelled by this time next week.  I think we're looking at the first casualty of the 2011 season.

Okay, Fellow Addicts.  What did you think?  Did anybody else even bother with this show?  If you did, did you make it all the way through?  Or, god forbid, did you like it??  If so, please tell me what I'm missing.  Vote in the poll below and then hit the comments!

(For a quick glance at the other pilots coming out, check out my Fall TV Preview.)

What did you think of HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think it was that bad. The dialogue was pretty lame, especially the blazer joke, I'll give you that, but I'll give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete