Sunday, September 25, 2011

PilotWatch Update: FREE AGENTS

Last week I gave a two-star rating to the series premiere of FREE AGENTS on NBC (check out my review here).  I said I would give it another episode or two to see if it gets any better.  Well, I just watched the second episode of the show, so I'm here to give an update.

Did it get any better?
Not really.  But neither did it get any worse.  I'd say the first two episodes of this show were very consistent in quality.  And that quality is wildly uneven.  Yes.  You read that correctly.  Consistent unevenness.

Hank Azaria and Kathryn Hahn remain immensely likable, which makes watching this show incredibly infuriating.  I want so much to like it, but I just can't because whenever anyone other than those two (or the hilarious Natasha Leggero) is on screen, I fall into boring-sitcom-stupor.  Mo Mandel, Al Madrigal, Joe Lo Truglio and Anthony Head are all painfully unfunny.  I'm not sure if that's their fault or the material's, although I'm inclined to lean towards the material because two of those four are standup comics.  Apparently scripted comedy doesn't do them any favors.  (And this is totally superficial, but I find Mo Mandel really weird-looking.  Is that just me?  Am I a terrible person for saying that?  Probably.)

If the entire show consisted of Mr. Azaria and Ms. Hahn interacting, occasionally with the bitingly sarcastic Ms. Leggero, I would be totally on board.  The two leads have such a breezy, natural rapport that is so believable it's a joy to watch.  It's a shame that the writers are letting them down with such inconsistent material.  Plus, I'm afraid that the premise of the show is simply not interesting enough to hold my attention.  There's no will-they-won't they suspense because the entire premise is that they already have.  Where does the show go from there?  I'm not sure, and I probably won't find out because I don't think this is a show I'll be sticking with.  Of course, I won't turn off the TV if it happens to come on and if I find myself with an empty Hulu queue and time to kill, I may give it another shot.  But in the meantime, I've got too many shows and too little time.  Sorry, Hank and Kathryn.  You deserve better.

Verdict:
About the same.

What did you think, Fellow Addicts?  Are you still watching?  Vote in the poll below and then hit the comments!

What did you think of Episode 2 of FREE AGENTS?

No comments:

Post a Comment